How to dispute account status with the credit bureau

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, credit bureaus should correct any inaccurate detail within a period of 30 days. So, if you find an inaccurate account status on your credit report, you can get it corrected by sending in a letter to the credit bureau. Here's a sample letter to dispute your account status.

The Letter

Your Name

Your Address

Your Phone #

Credit Bureau's Name:

Credit Bureau's Address:


Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: List of creditors with their account numbers

I am writing to dispute inaccurate account status (es) on my credit report. The above referred accounts do not reflect the true status of the account(s). Such incorrect listings have lowered my credit score and prevented me from gaining new credit.

I have attached copies of my most recent account statements as proof of their current status. Please update my credit report to reflect this information as soon as possible.


Your Signature

Your Name